I went ahead and put those ridges onto the painting with plaster and painted them up. Also, I applied some granular spray paint with some kind of fiber or rubber or something in it that makes the surface rough. I left 4mm grooves in the center of each to run the light pipes. I haven’t put the pipes in yet, but while working on them at the bench, I had a bit of trouble making the light uniform through the light pipe with a one-ended LED (even with a superbright, at max current). So.. I got sand paper and roughed up the outside of the light pipe and tried that. There was more light coming through the length of it, and it looks super cool, but it’s too defined – it looks like “light scratches” when illuminated, it doesn’t diffuse it, and it’s non-uniform – looks cool, however….. nah, I don’t think it’s going to work for this installation. At this point, I think I’ll just go ahead and cut the pipes into about 4 cm chunks and put LEDs on each end and make a “snake” out of it wrapped in some kind of wax-like paper to get a soft glow, running the wires inside the whole burrito. 🙂
In other news, there are other projects in the pipeline as I move forward. I have 160 green LEDs on the way for a 16×9 custom display/matrix. They’re about 3.8mm each and should pack pretty tightly without being overly tiny to handle and solder, through-hole, not SMT. I’ll arrange them in a little case and try to diffuse them a bit, and light ’em up in different patterns and animations. It’s in preparation for some other art projects I am thinking about down the line that will require these skills. I have an initial schematic that I drew up with a few shift registers (already in stock) and I want to get a feel for myself how far I can take it – both from a processor speed/memory perspective and a volts/current perspective. About 10 to 20 of them will be used for my current Moon Painting, and the rest will go to the 144 that I need for the display.
Also, I have a new display coming in as well. I have wanted one of these since they surfaced up on the scene. It’s a chip-on-glass reflective dot matrix LCD. 128×32. It’s super dope. It’s the ST7565R (controller name). (The entire part name is NHD-C12832A1Z-FSW-FBW-3V3, and I’d rather not call it that 😉 ). It paints grey pixels on a white backlight, and I can’t wait to dig into that, for sure.
As for the SSD1306, I have had some other ideas that I’d like to see implemented. I’m still in the R&D phase for that. For instance, I can set up some basic 3D and draw wireframes, I’m sure. But, I think I’ll probably have to turn down the frame rate or write it in assembly. Even the 3 sine wave scrolling animation missed frames, and it was visually slow, so I doubt it can handle polygons. However, as a precursor, I’ll at least make a “star blaster”, like where the stars come at you in 3D. That’ll be less expensive. And, I can animate the camera left and right so that the z-axis is offset back and forth. That might be all I can do, but we’ll see. And, I still have that box and grid thing I wanna do…
I might go ahead and start on the triangle wave conversion for that VCO while I’m at a good stopping point with the painting and SSD1306. And, I want to see what kind of adjustable filtering I want to do as well. I know I want it voltage-controlled as well, but like I said in a previous post, I want to select my values very carefully and put some real time into it. And, maybe I’ll try to digitally control the VCO and VCA while I’m at it. Might put up a rotary encoder to an ATTiny and have it spit predefined levels out so I can get like a sweep of the notes or some sinusoidal patterns for the low-pass. I’ll be getting into this world soon enough.
I have a list again for music updates, too. The “Strike” kick needs some punch – I overdid the sub before. I want to write a square wave synth solo for “Kitchen” going into the bridge that sounds kind of like a guitar had done it, bluesy/funky. And, there are little vocal tweaks that I want to do to “Fine” and “Crush”. Also, “Feeling” could use a bit less synth bass and more kick, <1db, micro change. And just a few more as I wrap these songs up to go out.
This is how I like things. Having plenty of projects that I care about, going through each one, making progress, toggling back, growing my toolkit, relaxing, no deadlines, expressing myself. Multi-discipline, using all areas of the brain, trying to fulfill my potential, but doing so in a gentle, chilled style. There’s no goal, just seeing what comes out if I follow my interest. Nothing contrived. Everything enjoyed.