New, in the sphere of my workings is a job that I will be starting at soon as a Sr. Software Engineer. The recruiting process was long and pretty taxing due to just the management of all of the leads and people to stay in close contact with over the last few weeks. My goal was to find a “match”, and that’s what I found. The people are great, the job calls for what I have to offer, and it appeals to me as a developer, as well. I’m ultra-excited about it!
In other news, I ordered some components to start building a real, accurate, and high-potential analog synth module! I have the basics spec’d out and ready for a test setup. So far, it’s going to feature the Analog Devices 654 Voltage-to-Frequency converter as the main oscillators and LFO, and Texas Instruments Active Filters throughout. I just received them in today.
I posted my thoughts on an idea for a frequency mangler / modulator using digital logic (as an analog signal effect) a while back, and after I get them running, I’ll try to implement that idea with these as I go along. It’ll produce a kind of ring-modulated effect. So, there’s plenty to do before I get it up and running as I have to design circuits around them, but I imagine I’ll have something going pretty soon.
I hung out with friends and family over the Easter holiday, and I probed some mechanically-minded acquaintances’ minds about putting together a wooden keyboard (with my electronics inside) to hook into the synth module. I got plenty of ideas. I’m visualizing a few scenarios: One, as an all-in-one solution for peeps to just get and start playing as a standalone fun-toy, and two, as a separate controller for hooking into various modules. I’ll keep that on the back burner, but for now, I just wanna build something that works and makes awesome sound. The first synth will be on the breadboard, and the first keyboard will probably just be a crazy in-shop, spring-loaded array of chopped wood hitting tac switches.
And, for the lights… The thing I was waiting for was to write the software to be as fast as possible with the on-chip oscillator, and to see if it’d be fast enough for my scanning. Well, I did that, and it’s not. It falls short by at least a few MHz. So, I have now, in-stock, an external oscillator that will push the MCU to 20MHz, and I’m waiting to see what kind of stability I can get with that. As the experiments go forward, I’ll know if the solution I have already designed will work. One more home-made PCB test, and I’ll have the answer.
Now that I have cleared the schedule a bit, I can begin to develop more projects.