Recently, I have been making a light animation controller. The prototype is on a breadboard and combined with a separate little 2 x 3 RGB LED matrix module I built last month. I have the system running on 3.3v with a few test animations programmed in C on a 16-bit Pic24.
I’m excited about this project and I’m continually making it better – both in features and in the kinds of animations I’m writing. It’s pretty wonderful to see it all come together!
I still need to mount the pieces together and stain them, but it’s taking shape. I’m also going to carve the pieces with some more detail and perhaps put in some metal inlays – I’m still messin’ with it. In the end, it’ll all be one piece, but I just have it sitting on the BB for the time being, to get a bearing.
Got some stills here:
I cut and sanded some wood last night and put a cut sheet of coated mylar underneath to let the colors diffuse and shine through a bit. I thought of this design while falling asleep a few nights ago and got back up to draw it out on the wood. So, it was nice to see it come to life.
Mainly, my workstation has been my pool table (lol), and it’s a pretty awesome little surface. I clean it off and play pool in between projects, but yeah, it’s central and in the main room and it’s a great place to work. Also, I have some of my other in-progress projects in the background there that I brought out to be inspired by 🙂 This captures the scene for the end of 2015, for me to look back on…
The pins talk to multiplexer-inverter chip pairs that gives each anode and cathode of the matrix a 3-bit address that I take advantage of when I control the sequence in code. I like this way of doing things – the complexity has been offloaded to the hardware. I handle the current load by never having two or more LEDs on at the same time – it’s just very fast switching that makes it look “on”. I have a rotary encoder switching the animations, properly debounced, feels great, and integrated into the user event loop to provide more features.
As I go along this month, I’ll be closer to deciding on an arrangement for a reproducible product. I’m currently investigating putting in an OLED or Chip-on-Glass display to show the current animation and battery state, etc. Some smaller products won’t have this, but I want other, larger ones, to have that visual piece in there.
All-in-all, I have been busy with software engineering at my day job, but when I have the time, I like to work most on this project – it’s an offshoot, or simplification, of the honeycomb light I worked on earlier this year.
I have been doing a little painting lately using a “crackle” technique, and I have been drawing and carving more human faces, too – gettin’ better with both. One day, I’ll integrate all of them into my professional projects as well. The practice in those other disciplines, though, also helps me come up with designs like this to do this project:
And, the next step on this Hex Light project is to design the SMD boards and get those etched and tested. Once they work and I have the kinks worked out, I’ll send off for some properly solder-masked, dark green and gold boards (fancy), and drop my logo on it for a real nice-looking internal product. And, yeah, I’m going to make the board a hex shape, too. 🙂 Until next time…